How to keep a food journal
We are going to be analyzing your diet using specialized software so we can give you a personalized picture of what you're eating now. The following instructions give us the information we need to do that:
- Be specific. Estimate amounts for each item, and if you are eating a brand-name packaged food record that as well. Here is a link to some guidelines for portion estimation.
- Eat what you would normally eat. This can be challenging when you're writing it all down, and you know someone else will be looking at it! Your "worst" eating day actually gives us the best picture of which improvements you can make.
- Include condiments. Whatever you add to your food, make sure you write it down: mustard, mayo, hot sauce, cream, sugar- everything!
- Include fluids. Hydration is an important part of a healthy diet, and caloric beverages can really add up.
- One packet Trader Joe's Oatmeal Complete Apple Cinnamon, prepared with water
- One medium banana
- 8 ounces coffee
- 1 teaspoon half and half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 16 ounces water